Electrical Installation Condition Reports in Hounslow
An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR), until recently called a Periodic Inspection Report (PIR), is a detailed electrical inspection service comprising an in-depth examination of a property’s electrical installation.
The purpose of periodic inspection and testing is to provide an engineering view on whether or not the installation is in a satisfactory condition where it can continue to be used safely. A detailed visual examination of the installation is required, together with appropriate testing procedures to ensure a full Electrical Installation Condition Report is issued to the person ordering the work.
Scope of Works :-
The inspector will carry out an initial walk-around the property to establish the extent of the installation that will be required to for testing. This would not involve any physical testing or installation and should be used to note down the information available for the report. The inspector will consider the following:-
- Approximate age and probable condition of the electrical installation
- Type and usage of the installation thereof
- Ambient environmental conditions
- The apparent effectiveness of ongoing maintenance, if any
- Period of time elapsed since previous inspection/testing
- The size of the installation
- Consultation with the installation owner
- The quality of records available such as, electrical installation certificates, minor works certificates, previous periodic inspection reports, maintenance records, site plans/drawings and data sheets relating to the installed equipment.
Testing of the Electrical Installation
The tests considered appropriate by the person carrying out the inspection should be carried out in accordance with the recommendations set out in Guidance Note 3: Inspection and Testing: Table 3.4 and considering sections 3.8.1 to 3.8.4, 17th Edition IET Wiring Regulations BS 7671:2008 incorporating amendment number 1:2011. The inspector will need to release a number of items for inspection and may under some conditions to be inspected while the circuit remains live. This should be carried out with great care and the following should be considered during this process:-
- SI 2002 No. 2665 – Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002 (as amended).
- Electricity at Work Regulations 1989, Regulation 4 and Memorandum of Guidance (HSR 25) published by HSE.
Final Verification & Certification
Once the inspection and testing procedures are complete the inspector will carry out the final verification and complete the certification process. The inspector will need to carry out a final check on the electrical installation to make sure everything has been re-instated to its original condition, or in some cases if live parts are exposed and danger is present, this has been actioned immediately.
The London Borough of Hounslow is a London borough in West London, England, forming part of Outer London. It was created in 1965 when three smaller Middlesex council areas amalgamated under the London Government Act 1963. It is governed by Hounslow London Borough Council.